Friday, April 5, 2013

Our Miracle

A lot has happened since my last post. I feel like I need to update everyone. We went home for the holidays and it was such a wonderful time. We visited family, went to parties, ate at all the wonderful places we had been missing, went to Temple Square to see the lights, visited City Creek Mall, ran into L. Tom Perry, etc. etc. etc. But the most important thing we did over the holiays was visit Primary Childrens Medical Center.


We knew that we wanted to see an Infant Cardiologist while visiting the states. I had researched all of them in Germany and made the appointment to see Dr. Cowley. Berlyn had not had an Echochardiogram since she was in the NICU and we were very curious to see what her heart looked like. I was nervous. Very nervous. We knew that one of the holes in her heart would probably close on it's own, but the doctors here in Germany had said that the other one was so big that it would most likely require surgery. I wasn't looking forward to my tiny baby having open heart surgery, but wanted to know either way. We had a consult and they said we would need to come back for the Echo the next friday. We were going to be staying over at Little America anyway so it all worked out and we headed to Salt Lake to enjoy the lights at Temple Square and eating at Spaghetti Factory with my family. It was such a fun night but the fun was definetley foreshadowed by the tests the next day. We got up early and headed to PCMC with Berlyn. They would have to sedate her for the Echo and so we got her ready. The anethesiologist came in to give her the IV and the sedation drugs pretty quickly. They asked us if we would like to stay with her for the whole thing. Of course I wanted to but as the medicine started working and my baby suddenly went limp in my arms I knew that I was going to have to leave. I wasn't expecting being so emotional through it all but I could not keep my tears in check. We went to the lobby to walk around and wait for the test to be done. I tried to keep my mind occupied, but time couldn't go fast enough. We waited and checked the clock about 500 times. And as soon as the minutes were up we headed back to see Berlyn. She was still sleeping and they wheeled her upstairs into recovery. We waited for the medicine to wear off and finally she started to wake up. She ate pretty quickly after that and they were able to release us. We were sent back downstairs to the waiting room to get the results of the Echo. 


More waiting...I was so nervous and just wanted to know what they had found. Dr. Cowley didn't keep us in suspense too long though. He came into the waiting room only about 15 minutes later. He seemed happy and pulled up a chair right there. I figured the results must be good or he wouldn't be giving us them in the waiting room. He started to talk about Berlyn's heart and his words were kind of a blur until he came to "everything I see leads me to believe that Berlyn's heart is that of  a healthy baby girl. I cannot find ANY holes at all!" I cried tears of joy then. And felt such a relief. We had asked our Heavenly Father for one miracle and we had been given it!! Our little girl would not have to go through surgery and endure any more pains. We had been blessed once again. I felt such appreciation and love for my husband and his insight and preisthood. He had given Berlyn a very heartfelt blessing while she was still only a few days old. He was alone with her one day and just decided that he needed to give her a blessing. He asked that the Lord would heal her heart and if we could just have this one thing. I am so glad that he did. I know that the Lord heard his blessing and helped us because of it. And we now have a beautiful, healthy, baby girl because of it. We are so very blessed. I feel that everyday.

We got to go and tell our families next  which was so fun. They all cried tears of joy as we told them and said that they were so happy for us. It was truly our Christmas miracle!!

 

0 comments: